The parish was formed in 1900 when the original large Wem Parish was divided into two, separating the now Wem Rural Parish from the more urban Wem Town Parish which lies at its centre. The parish of Wem Rural consists of several small hamlets joined together by a network of mostly minor roads, which meander their way through the district.
There are three ‘Wards’ (or districts) that make up Wem Rural Parish:
Edstaston Ward to the north and north east of Wem town – containing the hamlets of Coton, Cotonwood, Creamore Bank, Edstaston, Paddolgreen, Quina Brook and Ryebank.
Newtown Ward to the north and north west of Wem town – containing the hamlets of Newtown, Northwood, Poolhead and Wolverley.
And, the rather confusingly named, Wem Ward to the west, south and east of Wem town – containing the hamlets of Aston, Barkers Green, Horton, Lacon, Lowe, Palms Hill, Tilley and Trench.
(An extract from the Community Plan)